Perfect vacation hair takes a little preparation, but it’s well worth it to protect your hair when you’re finally on that lounge chair.
When you think about it, it makes total sense: when you go on vacation you’re subjecting your strands to stresses that are out of the ordinary, so you need to change up your routine to make sure it’s still protecting your hair.
We’ve designed the perfect summer hair routine designed to keep you flake-free* and comfortable during the hot weather.
Once you’ve read up on your new summer routine, grab your suitcase and pack your swimsuit, sunscreen and our top five hair and scalp tips:
- Sun Protection: Just like your skin, your scalp and hair are exposed to more damaging UV rays in the summer months. Make sure you bring a hat with good ventilation to help protect your scalp from the sun, while letting it “breathe.” Alternatively, you can dab a little sunscreen onto the exposed parts of your scalp using your fingers, for added protection or to help prevent direct burning.
- Leave-in conditioner: When we swim our hair is flooded with salt water and chlorine, which can have damaging effects. Help prevent your hair from absorbing too much salt and pool water by pre-wetting it with tap water and using a leave-in conditioner.
- Snag-free hair ties or a swim cap While you’re in the pool, you can prevent tangling by putting your hair in a low maintenance braid or bun and securing it with a snag-free hair tie. If you swim laps, or have shorter hair, try a swim cap (prep first by wetting your hair with tap water and adding a little leave-in conditioner).
- Your favorite anti-dandruff shampoo and conditioner: After swimming, or a hard day’s sightseeing in the heat, wash your hair and scalp thoroughly with a deep cleansing anti-dandruff shampoo. All that sunshine can dry out your hair, so add a moisturizing anti-dandruff conditioner to your routine; it’ll keep your hair moisturized without washing away your dandruff protection.
- A wide-toothed comb: Swimming in the sea or the pool may leave you with more tangled hair than usual. Ease out any knots with a wide-toothed comb to help reduce breakage.
We love a fresh, summery fragrance as we head out on a warm evening – if you’re the same, try our Green Apple Shampoo and Conditioner, which will keep your hair and scalp looking healthy, and infuse your hair with a delicious apple scent.
Now you’ve got your routine prepped and your bag packed, get ready to enjoy a fantastic, flake-free* vacation – and send us a postcard!
*visible flakes with regular use